Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Easy Disassembly Classic Bunk Beds with Wraparound Shelves

My sons have been ready for bunk beds for awhile and, being an apartment dweller, I wanted some that could be disassembled and reassembled. I found a design for classic bunk beds by Ana White that I really liked.

Ana White's original design for classic bunk beds

Essentially, four panels are built that are then bolted together and can be unbolted when a move is required.

Because storage space is also at a premium for us, I thought to add wraparound shelves to the bed. I ended up with seven panels instead of four, plus shelving. Also, I wanted to add truncated safety railing to the bottom bunk. Lastly, I wanted to use a bright color scheme that incorporated some of my sons' favorite colors that would also serve to visually separate the shelves from the beds. I ended up with seven panels and one shelf support.


My modified design for bunk beds with wraparound shelves

I have to say, I think the beds turned out well, and my sons seem to agree!



For those that might want to build similar beds, I created construction plans, including cutlists and a bill of materials. Here's an example sheet:

The sheet documenting the front panel

A full 11x17 set in PDF format may be downloaded from Dropbox here.

For the especially ambitious, the source files in Revit 2018 format may be downloaded from Dropbox here.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment