Friday, November 22, 2013

Review: Team Hot Wheels Double Dare Snare Track Set

A Hot Wheels race track, is there anything better? It doesn't matter how old you get, it never gets old to play with. And isn't that one of the great things about being a father, rediscovering the little boy inside?

I wanted to get my sons their first Hot Wheels racetrack for their 4th birthday, and I found a great one, the Team Hot Wheels Double Dare Snare Track Set.

The primary selling point to me for this set was the dual tracks, so that both boys could play at the same time, and it's worked out great.

As you can see from the picture at right, the concept behind the track is that the winning car is saved by a crane, while the loser plummets to the ground. It's a clever concept, and the crane was a nice bonus because my boys love cranes.

The learning curve on this set was moderate. My boys had to learn how to use the launchers. At first, they just wanted to run their cars with their hands along the track. When they moved to the launchers, it was difficult for them at first but, by the end of the first day, they were experts. It's fun to see their motor skills progress so quickly.

One downside is that, while this set is rated for 4-14 year olds, I think it's asking a little much for 4 year olds to be able to setup the crane claw. The spring is pretty tight and the claw barely grips the track so as to release when the car hits it. My sons struggle with the crane, and I usually have to set it up for them, and it's not even easy for me.

The other negative is that the set only came with a single car. This seems silly since the set has two tracks, and is designed for racing. And, as we parents of young twins know, you can't just give one of them a new car; that's asking for trouble. I solved this by buying a set of new Hot Wheels cars for each boy.

MSRP for this set is $22.99 but I bought ours on Amazon for $18. I give this set 4 out of 5 stars.

As an aside, I'm 47 and my even older friend was over for movie night the other day when I didn't have my sons for visitation. After the movie, it was obvious that my buddy wanted to try the track, so we of course had to race several times. Yep, Hot Wheels tracks never get old...



The author was not compensated for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment